In Boadilla del Monte, a right wing suburb on the eastern extremities of Madrid, the local authority have decided to name a playground in the suburb by the name of ‘Victims of Terrorism Park’. Its a strange name for a child’s playground. Whilst children rarely call parks anything other than ‘park’ there seems in some way to be an attempt here to introduce ‘terrorism’ and ‘victims of terrorism’ into the lexicon of some very young children. What does ‘terrorism’ mean daddy? What does ‘victim of terrorism’ mean daddy? Who was a ‘victim’ daddy? Who was the ‘terrorist’ daddy? And, what, I wonder, does the mayor of Boadilla Del Monte expect daddy to tell their children?
Its been said to me that with ‘Parque Victimas del terrorismo’ being quite a mouthful, locals have truncated the name of the park to ‘El Parque del terrorismo’, that is ‘Terrorism Park’.
Madrid to be Explored
Madrid by Season
Architecture & Street Art
- Cat and Contemporary Architecture on the Edge of Madrid
- Madrid’s Suburban Architecture
- The Bridges of Madrid Rio
- Madrid Street Art
- Spanish Election Posters in April 2019
- Feminist Street Posters in Madrid
- A Wank Page for Fans of Right-Wing Nationalist Spanish Street Signs & Associated Bits
- El Parque Victimas del Terrorismo, Boadilla, Madrid
- Depictions of England and Britain in Spain
Spanish Food Packaging